Well, Peter, no, I haven't written something this direct - yet. My trust in
their responsiveness is at an ebb; they don't answer much communication, of
any nature, quickly, so I doubt that they will answer a more critical email
at all.

FWIW I consider all of the editors to be way more experienced than me, when
it comes to documents, and publishing, and so forth. I don't equate that
with expertise in math, or programming, or technical writing. Number one,
trained technical writers should write technical docs - a whole bunch of W3C
recommendations prove that. _I_ am not very good at writing technical docs;
I get windy and abstruse. That's why I don't get paid to write docs. :-)

Every XSL-FO implementation has a different treatment of
"reference-orientation". I keep harping on this, I know. In fact, I think
_my_ interpretation is correct, and almost everyone else is wrong. I think
that because I read the English in the spec. I know that sounds arrogant,
but I have told the editors before that I'll implement according to the
letter, not the spirit. If they wish to argue that the language says
differently than what I think, that's their prerogative.

There is a better procedure for turning out specs. The W3C hasn't twigged.
Good companies in the industry already know it. It's invite the
customers/clients in, get them to hash things out with the programmers and
technical writers, and then let the latter two groups turn out a good
document, or a good implementation. Or both. In this case the experts are
the customers; we have a confused spec because they thought they were the
programmers and writers as well.

Arved