Comments inline.

No, you're quite right, Tony, fo:wrapper does not generate areas. But it
_returns_ areas, assuming that its children do (there are presumably some
pathological cases), and those areas are what markers act on. "wrapper" is
transparent.

I may have missed your point on this.

>  > The thing that bugs me is, when there is no qualifying area in the
>  > "containing page" (Note to spec editors: try saying currently-formatted
>  > page), after filtering, then it becomes anarchy. It seems like user
>
> I wasn't there when the spec was written, but it seems to me that
> 'currently-formatted page' presupposes making pages on the fly and
> doesn't quite describe pages that are unbounded in one or both
> directions (i.e. where there is only ever one page) and also doesn't
> describe the possible processing model of making all the pages from
> the fo:flow and then going back and fixing up the static content.

OK, you've got me here. :-) I fall into the trap of ignoring "media-usage"
too frequently. So the point is well taken.

Regarding the second point, that processing model ignores an
"error-if-overflow" value for "overflow"; process a thousand pages and then
only afterwards find out that you ought to have aborted with a message?

Regards,
Arved