Konnichiwa.

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 20:22:36 +0100 , J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Hm. I don't read japanese :-/

JIS X 4051 illustrates line-breaking, justification, writing-mode,
letter-spacing, ruby, etc. for Japanese text processing.

CSS3 module:text is useful to understand these features in English.
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/

This document is probably same as JIS X 4051. Following section is
espeically useful for line-breaking.

6. Line breaking
11.2.  Hanging punctuation: the 'hanging-punctuation' property

Another useful document is following book.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cjkvinfo/index.html
CJKV Information Processing
Chinese, Japanese, Korean & Vietnamese Computing
By Ken Lunde
1st Edition December 1998
1-56592-224-7, Order Number: 2247
1125 pages

> > Certainly, many japanese people wish that FOP will implement it,
> > but the Japanese Tex hypenation file does not work with current
> > FOP.
>
> What's the reason for this? I got the impression both the Japanese
> and the Chinese TeX versions patched also the TeX source in order
> to adapt to their respective line breaking rules. I'm not sure
> how relevant this is to hyphenation.

Current FOP can not control any line breaking restrictions.

The Asian languages line-breaking strategy has different
controls from those of western text. In Japanese, this
restriction is called 'kinsoku'.

A set of kinsoku character is Open Punctuation, Close Punctuation
and Ambiguous Quotation defined in UAX#14.

For example, you must not layout U+300C (LEFT CORNER BRACKET)
categorized in OP at the end of line and U+3002 (IDEOGRAPHIC
FULL STOP) categorized in CP at the head of line.

These restriction is estimated at each end of line where is same
point as the western soft-hyphenate estimation (i.e. break opportunity
estimation).

Can FOP currently control these restrictions without any modification?
If can, it is my misunderstanding and Japanese Tex hypenation file
can use it. But if can not, FOP must implements this feature to use
Japanese Tex hypenation file.

I think that the cost to implement JIS X 4051 line breaking
algorithm is almost equivalent to implement TR14. So I suggested
to implement TR14.

> This is planned for HEAD. The TR14 rules for CJK hyphenation seems
> to be easy: in absence of any more complicated requirements,
> hyphenate after every full character. Does the above mentioned
> standard add such "more complicated rules" which TR14 does not
> care too much about?

There is no "more complicated rules" for line-breaking.

CSS3 module:text says following :-)

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#line-break-prop
| The rules described by JIS X-4051 have been superseded by
| the Unicode Technical Report #14.

JIS X 4051 line-breaking and TR14 is almost equivalent.
In addition, TR14 can use for CJKV and any language with single
Unicode Line-Break-Properties file!

---
Satoshi Ishigami   VIC TOKAI CORPORATION