On 13.11.2003 19:27:24 Victor Mote wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I've added some basic functionality or API tests some time ago.
> > These are called during build IF JUnit is installed in your Ant
> > installation. Just copying junit.jar into Ant's lib directory should do
> > it. The build will then check if the high-level APIs for Driver and the
> > Transcoders work. They don't check what is generated, only if something
> > is generated and without exceptions. I'd appreciate if all committers
> > made the basic JUnit tests work in their environments.
>
> OK. I'll work on that. Sorry I missed it earlier. Also, I just added some
> doc for this.

Thanks.

> > > WRT API dependencies, we need to either document them or delegate the
> > > management of them to someone who knows them.
> >
> > Sorry but I don't exactly get what you're targeting here.
>
> I was talking about the Cocoon dependency that you mentioned in your
> original posting. If we have contractual commitments to third parties that
> need to be honored, we need to write them down and make them public.

Good thinking.

<snip/>

> FWIW, most of the things that I needed have now been done through the
> addition of the Document class. (In other words, I think I can exit out of
> the API debate -- I think you have probably seen comments that I left in the
> code about API issues, specifically about addressing Document and
> LayoutStrategy). A bunch of that code (Driver and Document) seems really
> ugly and overly complicated, but I did it that way to try to keep from
> breaking the current API. Also, there are things in Driver that belong in
> Document and vice versa.

I've seen some of them. I don't have any problems with that at this
stage. Let's simply clean up and improve as people have time to work on
it. I'll try to help, too.

> If the JUnit tests that you mentioned are a
> comprehensive way of assuring that the API is not broken, then I can take a
> much more aggressive view of the whole thing, and perhaps get some things
> cleaned up without feeling like I need to walk on eggshells. I'll make this
> a priority.

Uhm, I hope the tests are comprehensive though I don't dare say they are
already. As with the rest of FOP this is work in progress. But this is
all stuff that can help us avoid problems.

Jeremias Maerki