My preference is similar to Jeremias' preference. I prefer we move to a higher requirement(s) when there are clear and expressed needs for such moves. In fact, I would prefer we support 1.3 by default, and only require 1.4 or 1.5 for those items and features which require it. I admit, my knowledge of the spec is incomplete at best, but I'd like to see FOP work toward greater inclusion, moving toward wider support rather than narrowing our list of prospective consumers.

On a similar note, I think changes to FOP minimum requirements for output (and minimum requirements for running FOP) should be the result of an established need.