Until we decide otherwise, FOP is still targeted at JDK 1.3 but you're
right it currently doesn't compile. Nobody took the time, yet, to make
it compile under 1.3. It's on my list of things but there are so many
little things still to do. If you could try to fix it and send a patch
that would be absolutely awesome! Do you want to try?