On 28.07.2005 15:12:50 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> I've been following this thread with interest. From a conceptual point
> of view, I agree with Andreas. I can't see any situation where you might
> want to have cells of the same row group on separate pages. Regardless
> of how many rows a particular cell spans.
>
> Is there nothing in the spec to give you some clues?

I haven't found anything.

As I suspected, implementing the rule I proposed was very easy to
implement (13 new lines). Too bad minotaur is down so I can't commit.

The only thing that my quick work-around can't handle is if someone does
something like this:

<fo:table-row>
  <fo:table-cell>
    <fo:block><fo:leader/></fo:block>
    <fo:block>A</fo:block>
  </fo:table-cell>
  <fo:table-cell>
    <fo:block><fo:leader/></fo:block>
    <fo:block>Some long text whose first three lines will be kept
together by an orphan setting.</fo:block>
  </fo:table-cell>
</fo:table-row>

The text "A" may still be separated from the second block in the second
table-cell because both cells have already contributed a box and a
penalty to the element list of each cell. The algorithm doesn't check if
the contributed boxes have any meaningful content. Obviously, that's the
limit of my current proposal. But it's a start.