Manuel Mall wrote:

Still waiting for some feedback here from others. I am reluctant to change the interface to the renderers without other committers agreeing because such a change affects every renderer out there. On the other hand it feels a bit like a kludge to treat/represent <fo:character ... character="x" /> as <fo:inline ...>x</fo:inline>. There are also some subtleties in the handling of some properties which are interpreted differently when specified on a fo:character to a fo:inline.

Well I tend to agree. Treating fo:character as fo:inline just because the Renderer interface doesn't have a renderCharacter method is a nasty bodge. As you say if there are subtleties to be observed when rendering an fo:character then go ahead and change the Renderer interface.

Chris