[Simon]

In general, I have a different idea about the retain
condition. Retained spaces do not appear between areas returned by the
FO; all spaces appear before or after all areas returned by the
FO. This is different from retained padding and borders.

[Jeremias]

That's the part where I think you are wrong. 4.2.3 and 7.10.5 make it
clear IMO that space-before|-after are applied to every area generated
by an FO. The following sentence is the key: "Specifies the value of the
space-specifier for the space before the areas generated by this
formatting object." (Notice the "areas"!)

So for inlines we get

<fo:block>xxx xx xxx xx xxx x xxx xxxx <fo:inline space-start="nn">iii i iii iii ii iii iiii iii iiii i ii iiiii ii</fo:inline> xxx xxx xxxx xxx xxxx xxx xxx</fo:block>

xxx xx xxx xx xxx x
xxx xxxx    iii i
   iii iii ii iii
   iiii iii iiii i
   ii iiiii ii xxx
xxx xxxx xxx xxxx
xxx xxx

where a retained space-start is applied to each inline area, not just the first one generated?

My understanding is more in line with Simon.

I would guess that the key sentence is also true if the space is applied to only the first area.

regards,
finn