Good to see that happen! Here's my take:

On 11.01.2007 13:24:16 Manuel Mall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I implemented the UAX#14 line breaking I noticed that fop doesn't
> currently support the Unicode soft hyphen (SHY).
>
> I am thinking of adding support for this character to the line breaking
> but am unsure of its correct behaviour in an XSL:FO environment. So I
> have few questions related to treatment of the SHY:
>
> 1) If hyphenation is not enabled should a SHY still produce a valid
> break opportunity or should it be ignored?

I think it should represent a valid break opportunity.

> 2) If hyphenation is enabled shall a word containing a SHY still undergo
> hyphenation?

Yes, IMO. A SHY may sometimes be used to handle a special case and if
that is done in a longer word, I still expect the hyphenation to do its
work on the rest of the word, but then taking the shy into account when
doing word-splitting. Nothing fancy, though.

> 3) Shall a break opportunity created by a SHY be given the same penalty
> (in the Knuth sense) as a normal hyphenation break?

Yes, IMO.