> On Mar 7, 2007, at 09:07, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> > I have some questions regarding the handling of Position elements. I'm
> > not familiar with that part of the code yet, and as there is little or
> > no javadoc for those it's a bit difficult to guess their purposes just
> > by looking at the code.
>
> I think you're not the only one with this problem... :/
> Note that there is also an illustrious resetPosition() method, which
> currently seems to be used nowhere. All references to it seem to be
> circular. BlockLayoutManager.resetPosition() is only called by
> AbstractLayoutManager.reset(), which in turn is only called by one of
> the other LM's resetPosition(), etc.

That's a left-over from the Keiron's and Karen's first approach before
we introduced Knuth's algorithm. The resetting was used to go back to a
certain position after deciding line/page breaks. When I merged in
Luca's Knuth code I mostly removed most of this resetting because I
thought we wouldn't need it anymore. Turns out I could have been wrong
("changing available IPD" topic). But maybe it's also good I didn't
remove everything so we still know that there was such a mechanism. At
some point we obviously have to resurrect it (if we need it again) or to
remove it for good.

> The closest understanding that I have of those Positions is still a
> bit limited, I'm afraid, so I'm hoping others chime in to correct my
> mistakes or offer further clarification. (Just noticed that Luca
> already did; will share my thoughts in any case, to see if I may have
> misinterpreted something)

<snip/>

> That is all: as far as I get it...

Oh, I think you pretty much got it.