Guys,

thanks for your inputs. That strengthens a bit the picture I have in
mind. I'm wondering if the following makes any sense:

We would have a list of page-level Knuth elements; some of those
elements would be wrapper around line-level Knuth elements. Almost every
element would contain a Position pointing to the LayoutManager that
generated the element. Special elements created to achieve various
effects (say, text-centering), would contain null Positions.

The breaking algorithm would break the list of Knuth elements into
chunks representing lines/pages. From that we would iterate over the
non-null Positions, and for each one call
position.getLM().addArea(position). That is, the position would notify
its LM that its corresponding areas must be added.

For page-level elements wrapping line-level elements, we would also
iterate over the wrapped inline Positions.

Now, does that picture represent the current code? If not, what is
missing/wrong, apart from the many details relevant to each particular
LM? Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Vincent