Because the issue of font selection by character was raised again on
fop-user I have started to look at it as the appropriate font data
structures are now in place.

I am just looking for a confirmation here of the selection algorithm. My
understanding is that for each character, independent of its context,
the font list is searched for the first font with a matching glyph.
This means in particular for characters like space and hyphen (as used
for hyphenation), they will always be taken from the first font
containing them even if their 'neighbouring' characters are from a
different font?

Manuel