Come on, guys, this is a serious topic.

Andreas Delmelle wrote:
On 20 Nov 2008, at 17:29, Dario Laera wrote:

Il giorno 19/nov/08, alle ore 09:37, Jeremias Maerki ha scritto:

How about calling the next version 2.009 (to be released in early
2009).

<joking>
You may choose to compose a strange number like Knuth is doing with $\pi$ for \TeX versioning. What about $\sqrt{2}$? :P
</joking>

Now there's an idea... Doing something with Euler's famous formula, perhaps:

Just sticking to an 'ordinary' version number seems to dull anyway. I don't mind if anyone is confused, quite on the contrary.

The least we can do is to use the golden number [1]:
(1 + sqrt(5))/2 ≈ 1.6180339887

Incidentally this number has been used in book design for many years
[2]. Actually...

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio#Book_design