I can only repeat the following: either the user is advanced enough to
know how to configure custom fonts that contain all the glyphs they
need, and then a configuration option for a last-resort font will be of
no use to them; Or they are not confident enough yet to create their own
configuration file (or for some reason don’t want to use one), and then
the configuration of a last-resort font will be inaccessible either.

In both cases I believe that the possibility of configuring
a last-resort font will not help. Improving the user friendliness of
FOP’s behaviour in problematic situations is always welcome, but only if
it remains transparent to the user.

At the moment a warning is issued when glyphs are missing, listing the
affected code points. Along with using the .notdef glyph, I think that’s
user-friendly enough.

Vincent