Hello,

Welcome to the FOP project. In addition to Simon’s notes, I have a few
more specific comments.

In theory I would be reluctant to work on any features that have not
been standardized yet. The way they are specified may heavily impact the
design, so you face the danger of having to throw away all your work and
restart again. This can be mitigated by a careful definition of the
object model, abstractions and encapsulations but the risk is still
there.

As you mentioned, any non-standardized element should be defined in its
own extension namespace and developed as a plug-in to FOP. This will
allow to avoid conflicts and backwards incompatibilities with later
versions of the Recommendation.

Any work on typesetting is inherently difficult, but FOP has a few
additional challenges of its own. ATM the layout engine is not really
designed to be pluggable, with well-defined extension points. That would
need to be addressed. Also, the data model it’s based on (inspired from
Dr Knuth’ work on digital typography) is fundamentally limited and
doesn’t work well for e.g. tables. Some time ago I started to work on
the prototype of a new layout engine, but unfortunately I was
sidetracked by more urgent work. I’m planning to restart this work at
some point in the future.

The object-oriented paradigm applies well to XSL-FO. Implementing this
paradigm on the layout engine is IMO the only way to keep it manageable
and maintainable, especially if we are to add such complex new features
(XSL-FO 1.1 alone is already extremely complex!). We’re not quite there
yet, but this is doable.

In short, a lot of work and challenges, but this is a very interesting
area, and your full-time developer will definitely be welcome.

Vincent