Thank you for your suggestion but :

>>bla bla bla bla <fo:block border="0.5pt solid black">
>>blaWithBorders<fo:block>bla bla bla

does not draw the text which is located outside the block element, if the
whole thing is not nested inside another block element. And if i do nest the
whole thing inside another block element, the text located inside the nested
block element takes a whole line so there are three lines total.

Your second suggestion does not display a border at all. The inline element
does not seem to implement border attributes.

I really can't figure how to draw a border around a word that is placed in a
sentence? I think there must be a way to do so cause it must be pretty
common to draw borders and the fop developpers must have taken that into
account.

please someone help me ;)

Franck