I've never really done this for real, but I think I'd do it like this:

On the first HTTP-Request, the job gets sent on the JMS queue. The user
receives a "Please wait.." page with an automatic refresh and and ID
that will be returned to the server upon refresh. Use the ID in a
message selector to see whether the job with the respective ID has
already finished. If not, send the "Please wait..." again.

I think this should work, but I may be wrong. I'm sure there are others
on the list who have done similar things. I think I remember some posts
on one of the FOP lists. Browsing the mail archive might be interesting.

> This is an interesting suggestion - but how does the notification to the
> Front Controller allow a user to know when the document is ready without
> some type of polling?  We have a similar setup, but a polling applet is
> being used - which we would love to get rid of.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch