I agree with Markus.

FOP needs so much JARs and rendering PDF take so much ressources that I
think it's better to do the transformations server side and then send the
result to the client. That is my opinion about using FOP clientside with
an applet (for web app, I think the servlet approach is better). But I
already used command line version of FOP (clientside) integrated in my VB
app using SHELL32.DLL, it is working well, we just had to deploy the
proper JAR's over the network.

Cheers,

Simon