FOP cannot guess where to clip the string unless he is taught so. For
common language, that is done with hyphenation rules. For URLs (and other
stuff) there is no standard way of clipping (before the slash, after the
slash, repeat the slash on next line or not? etc.). There are two ways to
provide this information:
      1) Insert zero-width spaces (\u200B) in the points of the string
which are suitable for breaking -- FOP will wrap the text in the first
availabe breaking point before the clipping limit. This must be done in the
FO generation process in the template matching the itens that may contain
such long strings (e.g. @href)
      2) If such rules are very characteristic and predictable, I suggest
writing a special hyphenation rule for a imaginary language "x-url" or
"x-urn" and use the xml:lang attribute to signal FOP that this string uses
special hyphenation. I find this approach quite elegant, but the extra work
is only paid off if the pattern is reincident.

BTW, both URLs you used as example are invalid: neither '\' nor spaces are
allowed in URLs. Use %5C and %20 instead.

Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
Petrobrás (http://www.petrobras.com.br)
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: +55 21 2534-3485
fax: +55 21 2534-1809
"He whose vision does not cover,
History's three thousand years,
Must in outer darkness hover,
Live within the days frontiers."
      -- Goethe

                      Phillip Rhodes

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Para:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      a.com>                   cc:

                                               Assunto:  how can i wrap text
that is not being wrapped?
                      28/03/2003 01:08

                      Favor responder a

                      fop-user

I have some text that does not have any spaces in it.  When FOP renders the

text, it can not break up the text.  FOP will clip it and give warnings
about overflows.

It's a trivial example but here is something that will be clipped:  Notice
the lack of spaces.

/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/webapps/hra/templates/hra/diabetes\en_US\maj.x.vm

Here is an example of something that will be wrapped.  Notice the space
between "blood cholesterol"
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/webapps/hra/templates/hra/blood
cholesterol\en_US\f.x.vm

How can I get text to be wrapped instead of clipped.  I would rather just
pick any arbitrary character and wrap from there, instead of clipping text.

Less warnings too!;)