Teator, Michael wrote:
Same issue happens here.  Even if I try embedding the Helvetica, on my
machine it still shows it as using Arial as the actual font.

Helvetica is a sort of alias for Arial in the context of default PDF fonts, see the PDF 1.4 spec pg 795 (or perhaps Arial is an alias for Helvetica). The actual font distributed with Acrobat Reader has been Arial for a long time, IIRC because of the usual IP problems which prevents basically everyone from calling their Helvetica font implementations "Helvetica".

Embedding is also scary, we have one product that has Arial Narrow embedded
and a couple other special use fonts, and many users report it either causes
their Reader to crash or the printouts are corrupted.

Maybe the font file you are embedding is corrupt. What happens if you install it on Win2K and use the font viewer? What happens if you open it in a professional font editor?

J.Pietschmann