1/72th of an inch is the standard point size in PDF.

I find it curious though... Have you tried setting the content-height and
content-width for the inserted graphic explicitly? I remember having the
same problem; I managed to solve it by experimenting with these attributes
on the <fo:external-graphic ...>, so be sure to try this.

The documentation on the website, however, (
http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#resolution ) recommends you scale
the graphic beforehand. ( Try scaling it to 72/300 of its original size and
then insert it as a 300dpi jpg... if it is then inserted with (size x
300/72), it will be rendered in its original size.

Hope this helps.

Greetz,

Andreas Delmelle