Thanks for the so many replies.

Ben's idea is especially helpful. I've been following
up on that in last few days.
Looks like in the output method in PDFDocument.java,
we can intercept each PDFObject before it is "printed"
to pdf file, if it's a PDFStream object, we can decode
the data string and do the replacement Ben suggested,
and then put it back to PDFStream.

I hope I don't miss any piece.

LZ