thanks for the replies,
how would ant help me here. I did not explain correctly i think.

they have a swing client, the select some criteria thats
results in selecting 5 pdfs on the server, I java-ftp them
from server to client and store them in tmp dir, then I was going
to run

"FOP -xml 1.xml -xsl 2.xsl -print"
using runtime.exec()

they do not want to see a select printer dialog
just batch print them using thier windows set default printer.

the options I came up with are

String adobe = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /p
/h x.pdf"

or

"FOP -xml 1.xml -xsl 2.xsl -print"

and runtime.exec()  one of these methods for each pdf

i searched and searched and this is all i could find