Hi,

> > font models. I've had a look at iText, Batik and FOP. Since the FOP
> > community seems to be the most active, my message goes to this list ;-)
>
> FOP more active than iText? Interesting.

I'm rather turned towards Apache projects : that might bring a lack of
objectivity :-)

> > First question : is there any chance that the FOP programmers could be
one
> > day interested by other tables ?
>
> Not the FOP programmers as they seem to be quite happy with the current
> TrueType support.

Understandable : see other post ;-)

> But obviously there are other people like you who need
> a few thing in addition. That counts just as much.

OK.

> > You could answer : get a Unicode mapped font ! But... maybe if you have
> > look at the fonts I want to make available to the FOP font model, you
will
> > surely admit that I have a serious problem. Ready ? Click :
> > http://www.yare.org/egypt/files/gardiner.zip
>
> Very cool!!! (Not the problem, but the task)

Isn't it ?

> > So... second question :
> >
> > Any plan for TTFFile.writeXXX methods (vs. TTFFIle.readXXX ones) and/or
> > PFMFile.unloadXXX methods (vs. PFMFile.load XXX ones) ?
>
> No need until today. Obviously, functionality such as this is not quite
> in the scope of this project.

For sure. BTW, notice the difference in namings.

> On the other side we will soon reorganize
> the FOP and Batik projects under a new umbrella where I'd like to
> separate some of the basic components (for example the font subsystem)
> from the main project codebase.

That's one of the good news I was waiting for :-) I would be happy to
contribute to such a (sub ?)-project.

> > Notice that Batik is able to generate SVG fonts definitions
> > (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/fonts.html) for the afore mentioned font
files.
> > It demonstrates that Batik is less picky than FOP about mappings (but I
> > still don't know if it is an advantage or not :-).
>
> I guess this is all about requirements.

Well, for FOP related ones... yes. Basically, the strategy is the following
:

1) Get the font contents. I've made it with Batik (apart an apparently
harmless ArrayOutOfBoundsException) and got SVG-Font outputs.
2) Remap the characters to "pseudo-Unicode" ones. Not difficult (but surely
boring).
3) Implement a layout strategy which will be based on control characters
(basically : "under" or "beside", the problem being that there can be a fair
amount of levels). Depending of what is before of after a character, the
position *and* the size of a hieroglyph should be adjusted. That is the main
difference with "classic" fonts behaviours.
4) Map this behaviour on a Java Objects (e.g. GlyphVector and FOP Text
components). Maybe the most difficult thing to do...
5) Consider font substitution when one has to deal with mixed
hieroglyphic/non-hieroglyphic characters.

> > Third question : are there any plans for supporting the SVG Font format
?

> One todo item is to support SVG fonts as Type 3 fonts in the PDF and PS
> Transcoders (SVG to XY transformation using Batik). But this is pretty
> low priority given our available resources.

Understandable as well.

> > So... how can this community help me ?
>
> As long as your work is at least partially within the scope of FOP
> (meaning you also want to generate PDF via XSL-FO and/or SVG with
> hieroglyphic fonts)

Yes : PDF exports would be one a great proof of concept. Having a
hieroglyphic capable AWT would be another one. I'm also working on it...

> On the contrary. If it's just the
> font subsystem you're interested in

Essentially at the moment...

Well... I'll continue my investigations but I would definitely be interested
in a font project at Apache's.

Cheers,

p.b.