I think he can, although I don't have an exact example
for him--[1] may come close.  It would be convoluted,
and I'm unsure whether it works in FOP, but:

Basically, he wants the static header to be different
on pages after one, if there is more than one page.
That normally indicates using a
fo:page-sequence-master with maximum-repeats = 1 (see
line 26 of [1]) for the first
fo:repeatable-page-master-reference, and "no-limit"
for the second, with the two fo:r-p-m-r using
different fo:simple-page-masters.

The first fo:s-p-m would be same as what he's
currently using, the second fo:s-p-m would be the same
as the first, *except* that fo:region-before would
have a different region-name property (say
"show-contd-msg")

Next, within the fo:page-sequence, construct two
fo:static-contents for the differing headers (see line
38), one having a flow-name of "xsl-region-before",
and the other having a flow-name of "show-contd-msg"
(which has the "cont'd" message).  The first fo:s-c
will be activated for the first page, and the second
fo:s-c will activated for all other pages.

HTH,
Glen

[1] http://tinyurl.com/4mwdc