About a month ago I asked if FOP could handle a thesis about 100 pages
long with a table of contents at the beginning. I was told the best
way to answer the question was to write the stylesheets to convert the
thesis to FO and use FOP to convert it. It obviously took me a little
bit of time to do so.

At this point the body of the thesis is around 60 pages long. There is
then a 40 page table. The table of contents only has to reference to
page 60; after that there are no more references.

I ran FOP on my 400 MHZ machine loaded with linux. I am using FOP
version 0.91beta and java version 1.4.1.

It took me 47 seconds to process the document and I encountered no
memory problems.

This test is preliminary because there is one more appendix that will
contain many, many graphics, and the table of contents will point to
these graphics.

Paul