It turns out the following revision is responsible for the regression:

Putting the Commons codec before the ImageIO variant in ImageFactory is
a quick fix for this. I originally switched because of speed reasons but
obviously I didn't test PNGs with alpha channel.

The reason why Martin's PNG doesn't work with the ImageIOImage class is
the lack of support for java.awt.Transparency.TRANSLUCENT. If it were a
BITMASK it would work. The same problem exists for JAIImage and
JimiImage, BTW. Again, this is something a complete redesign of the
image package would have addressed. It's on my higher priority list but
I still haven't got to it, yet. If someone wants to try to implement
that little code that is missing as a temporary fix, please do. It
shouldn't be difficult. You can maybe use XmlGraphicsCommonsImage for
hints.