Quite a bit of work, what you suggest here. PCL 6 (aka PCL XL) is
a completely different printer language compared to PCL 5. We'd have to
develop a completely new renderer. Do you have a budget for this? ;-)

What does that mean: "better, but still not adequate"? Does it print
correctly on those printers or not? What's the problem?