Hi,

I'm trying to use the STIX fonts with FOP and am running into issues.

Ideally, the OpenType format used by the STIX fonts were supported
directly by FOP, but I understand this is work in progress. (To any
FOP developers out there: When might we have this?)

So I tried converting the fonts to TrueType using fontforge. This
appeared to work, with no significant (I think) error messages in the
process. Fontforge successfully reads and displays converted fonts.

FOP runs without any complaints, and according to pdffonts the STIX
fonts are properly embedded in the PDF. However, the PDF appears to be
invalid: Ghostscript stops rendering the page at the first STIX
character; xpdf continues to render but shows nothing (white space) in
place of the STIX characters. The metrics and encoding seem ok though;
I can copy and paste the invisible characters successfully from xpdf
into emacs.

What might be the problem?

Then I tried converting the fonts to Type1. This works all the way,
except that a Type1 font can apparently only encode 256 characters at
a time, and indeed, some special characters (Euro symbol) are missing
in the otherwise impeccable PDF.

I could split up the STIX fonts and implement XSLT wizardry to help
FOP find all the glyphs, but this would involve some bending over
backwards and jumping through hoops, so I thought I'd ask here if
anybody might have some further insights concerning the TrueType
weirdness.

Thanks,
Justus