Peter Coppens wrote:
Ic...so there is no way to know what the page size will have to be until the layout has been completed?

No, that's rather the heart of my problem.

Consider, if you like, a different example.

I wish to make rendered images of quotations
for placement on a web site.

Of course, quotations vary in length...

I know I want the images to be 350 pixels wide,
to fit my web site design.

So...

The depth of these images will need to vary
in order to accomodate the words, but I don't
know *how* deep until I've laid out the text, with
line wrapping, hyphenation etc.

   BugBear