On May 8, 2008, at 14:52, paul womack wrote:

q1) May I assume that any particular version of FOP would be able
to consume an area tree (XML) that it had itself generated?
That's a reasonable assumption, I think.

(I have noted your other information; thank you)

This assumption may be reasonable, but it just failed
a test (I think)

generating tiff directly:

 ../fop -dpi 288 -xsl lineage.xsl -xml lineage_eg.xml -tiff a.tif

gives me different line breaks to going via an "at" file:

../fop -xsl lineage.xsl -xml lineage_eg.xml -at lineage.at.xml; ../ fop -atin lineage.at.xml -dpi 288 -tiff b.tif

Unless these are different for a "valid" reason that I am ignorant of?

I think the problem is that you have to specify the eventual renderer to mimic.

Try
../fop -xsl lineage.xsl -xml lineage_eg.xml -at image/tiff lineage.at.xml;

HTH!

Andreas