On Wednesday 18 June 2008 17:32:36 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Not sure how you want to do that or what exactly you had in mind.

Yeah, like I said, I haven't tried doing it with FOP.

But as far as what I had in mind, see javax.swing.ProgressMonitorInputStream.

We use this in various other situations where the thing reading from the file
has no notion of how much of the file has been read, and it works quite well
in those other situations.

In this particular case it would be dependent on both the XML parser and FOP.

Assuming the XML parser reads the file in chunks and then generates SAX
events, and then reads another chunk, and so forth, you'll get an update each
time it reads a chunk.  The default one in Java more than likely does work
like this.

So then depending on where FOP's time is spent, it may or may not work.  If
the bulk of FOP's time is spent when incrementally receiving the SAX events,
then it will work.  On the other hand, if FOP merely collects SAX events
until it hits the end of the page sequence and then does all the hard work,
it will only provide reasonable feedback if you have multiple page sequences.

Daniel