Thank you for your answers.

To Alias John Brown:

1) Thank you for the tip about "auto-detect".

You know, I have tried <directory>C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/</directory> instead of
<directory>C:/Program Files/fop-0.95/fonts_lea/</directory> in fop.xconf
but I have had quite a lot of errors like:
    GRAVE: Unable to load font file:
file:/C:/Windows/Fonts/Mathematica2b.ttf.
    Reason: TrueType font is not supported: file:
/C:/Windows/Fonts/Mathematica2b.ttf

So I decided to copy the TTF files I was interested in to my directory
C:/Program Files/fop-0.95/fonts_lea/

2) Apparently, there is no problem with the space in "Program files" nor
with
   the trailing slash /.

To Jeremias:

> No, the font-family is not derived from the filename. The font itself
> contains the font family name that is to be used. In the case of
> verdana.ttf that would be "Verdana" (case-sensitive!).

Do you mean that one have to look at the TTF file itself to know which
name to use?

> Yes, sure, otherwise you only have a default font configuration, not
> your custom one.

Ok.
So fop.xconf is not fop's default configuration file and if I want it to
be taken into account, I have to do it explicitly...

... I have to thank you all for your efficiency and for answering so
quickly!

--
Lmhelp