On Sep 4, 2008, at 12:06, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

<snip />
No, US-ASCII is a 7-bit character set, which means it can contain only
128 characters, none of them being an accented letter [1].

Ouch! Indeed. I'm so used to the basic 7-bit set being extended...
To think that I even tried it over here in an editor. If I had only also tried to actually save the file, I would have noticed...

Sorry for the confusion, Jeff.

The conclusion is definitely the right one: if you can somehow manage to have the BASIC code write the file as UTF-8, all the encoding hassles disappear.

Cheers

Andreas