On Oct 13, 2008, at 13:45, nancy_b wrote:

Hi Nancy,

I did it as you described, defined the page number as:
<fo:wrapper font-family="ZapfDingbats"><fo:page-number/></fo:wrapper>

But unfortunately, instead of a number, a scissors symbol appears. Any
ideas, guys?

That is expected behavior.
What you're telling FOP to do here is:
- generate a page-number character, say '4', or U+0004
- render that character in the Zapf Dingbats font

Looking at the glyph catalog for this font, for page-numbers 4 to 7, you would get scissors. For the page-numbers 0 to 3, you should get '#', since there are no glyphs in this font. For 8 you will get BLACK TELEPHONE, etc.

Am I correct in assuming that you actually want the CIRCLED DIGIT ONE (= U+1103) up to CIRCLED NUMBER TEN (U+1202)? In that case, the only way I can think of to achieve the desired effect, is to force the initial-page-number property of the page-sequence to 1103. Obviously, this will only work for page-sequences guaranteed to have less than ten pages. Not sure how to customize docbook to set that property, though...

HTH!

Cheers

Andreas