I don't think the 64bit vs 32bit or *nix vs win makes a difference
since the app is running in a 32bit Java VM. At least I would assume
no difference. I think what really uses RAM is large continuous page
sequences and big image files. Using smaller page sequences will
result in better memory performance because (as I understand) FOP
builds the page sequence in RAM before committing it to disk.
Therefore, crafting XSL with more smaller page sequences uses less RAM
overall.

But my gut feeling is that approx 2GB of RAM alloted for the Java
Virtual Machine should be more than enough for 12,000 pages barring
images.

Gregory Buchenberger, CDIA+, ECMs
Eightfold Consulting
15710 W. 3rd Place #4