Jonathan:

For a different purpose, we generate multiple PDFs in separate files and
then merge them before delivery to the client.  We use Apache pdfbox and
so far it has been working like a dream.  The only issue you will probably
have is that it treats each PDF separately - you get a page break between
each PDF and the page numbering restarts (for us this is OK since the user
knows it is multiple reports packages into one file).  I believe iText can
re-paginate when you merge multiple files, btu I'm not sure about the page
breaks or empty space between files.

-Lou

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOG-NET, Inc.
The Logistics Network Management System
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
230 Half Mile Road
Third Floor
Red Bank, NJ 07701
PH: 732-758-6800
FAX: 732-747-7497
http://www.LOG-NET.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED
Unless otherwise indicated or if obvious from the nature of the content,
the information contained herein is privileged and confidential
information/work product. The communication is intended for the use of the
individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this transmission is
not the intended recipient, you are  hereby notified that any
notify the sender immediately by telephone (732-758-6800) or by electronic
mail (postmas...@log-net.com), and destroy any copies, electronic, paper
or otherwise, which you may have of this communication.  Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jonathan Levinson <jonathan.levin...@intersystems.com>
03/01/2010 02:46 PM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

"fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org" <fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Rendering 12,000 pages

This is a good idea but the customer has been unwilling to split the job.
They want to format 12,000 pages all at once.

Thanks for your suggestion, which should prove valuable to other
customers!

Pdftk seems very useful!

Best Regards,
Jonathan Levinson