On 06/07/10 00:18, Chris Bowditch wrote:

> I'm sorry but I don't agree that using the fop.xconf within an embedded
> Java application is a ugly hack as you suggest. This is the intended way
> of doing things. Some of the classes you have used in your mentioned
> approach of loading fonts do not form part of the public API and
> therefore are subject to change.

Using config files embedded in apps is entirely normal, anyway. See (eg)
Hibernate, the JPA interfaces, log4j, ....

> Therefore the approach you suggested is a hack not the other way round.
> What is it that you don't like about using the fop.xconf file? You can
> still make sure fonts are used from your own distribution instead of the
> client machine. Just hide the fop.xconf file away if needed and
> configure the base path from source code.

Personally the only issue *I* have with it is that I don't see a
convenient way to get fonts and metrics from within the app jar or off
the classpath as resources. That'd be a rather nice option to have to
preserve single-file app distribution.

--
Craig Ringer