Unfortunately FOP insists to put a "#" in place of "ί".

I can confirm that Arial.ttf contains a CMAP entry for all the required
characters. I opened Arial.ttf with Character Map (the Windows utility for
viewing fonts). There I inserted code "03af" and it showed the character
"ί".
The same applies for FreeSans.ttf.

myconfig2.xml contains exactly this code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<fop version="1.0">
  <renderers>
    <renderer mime="application/pdf">
      <fonts>
      </fonts>
    </renderer>
   </renderers>
</fop>

Since I explicitly tell FOP to use arial.ttf, why does it not use it? I also
tried this on a Mac OS X 10.6 using Arial with no success. I get the same
warning telling iotatonos couldn't be found in font 'Symbol'.

Maybe I am doing something else wrong?

Nikos