Hi Luis,
I tried your initial FO (with negative margin) against FOP 1.0 and FOP
trunk:
FOP 1.0 is buggy while FOP trunk works as expected.

In addition, note that with fo:external-object or
fo:instream-foreign-object, there are half-leading before and after,
that depend on font-size and line-height.
So, if your fo:block contains no text, you can set its font-height to 0.

If line-height has a ration value (witch is inherited and defaults to
1.2), you do not need to explicitely set it to 0

--
Pascal