Hi,

As said in XSL-FO REC 1.1 (§7.27.16  at [1]),
precedence="true" "specifies which region (i.e., region-before,
region-after, region-start, or region-end) takes precedence in terms of
which may extend into the corners of the simple-page-master"

So, this will not help Theresa.
The only solution I can imagine is to tweak the FOP Intermediate Format
(see [2]).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#precedence
[2] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/intermediate.html