On 12/04/2012 14:00, froglander wrote:
If I have<auto-detect />  in the userconfig.xml file this line

<fo:inline font-size="8pt" font-family="Symbol">•</fo:inline>

Ends up displaying as a # symbol in the resulting pdf file print.

If I take<auto-detect />  out of the userconfig.xml file, then the above
line works but the following line does not.

That's because there are 2 version of the font named Symbol; The Base 14 font Symbol that is included with FOP by default. That is the version used when <auto-detect/> is absent from the fop.xconf file and the symbol.ttf file installed in the operating system. The bullet character is not present in the Operating System version of Symbol or at least its accessed via a different Unicode reference.

<fo:inline font-size="11pt" font-family="Arial, sans-serif">Ω</fo:inline>

Arial is not available as part of the Base 14 fonts, so you must register it in the fop.xconf. Since <auto-detect/> adds every font installed in the Operating System I suggest you manually add individual fonts that you wish to use (such as Arial) using the <font> element as described in [1]

Thanks,

Chris

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/fonts.html#register

Is any more information needed?  I need this to be able to show bulleted
lists as well as possible 'special' characters.

Thanks!

froglander wrote:
In this case it is using te symbol font for the bullets.

Rob Sargent-4 wrote:
Not all fonts have bullets.  Which are you using?

rjs