I would gladly do that if it were an option, but the file that has

<fo:inline font-size="8pt" font-family="Symbol">•</fo:inline>

is one that is given to me as is, not one I can modify.  Is there a way to
tell it to use a different font if it encounters font-family="Symbol"?

I've tried going here
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/fonts.html#substitution
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/fonts.html#substitution  but I can't
seem to get it to /do/ anything.