does your editor know about the font you are using? if you highlight the text in the editor and set the font to Arial do you see any glyph?

I tried your example but with Arial, copied and pasted to OpenOffice and I am able to see the glyphs.

now, not that this makes a difference for your problem, are you sure the output file you sent was generated with the fop.xconf you sent? in your conf file you have embedding mode full but in the output file it is being subset.