On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Neeraj <neerajii...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, my editor can handle used font.
> If you highlight the text in the editor and set the font to Arial do you
> see any
> glyph? For PDF text - No
>
> For embedding this, May be I added embedding mode full later, after
> generating
> PDF, but in both the cases it is giving same results.
>
> The issue I reported was for non-Base14 font. You are using Arial which is
> Base14 font and FOP has full support for these kinds of fonts.
>
> Well as you said, I tried same functionality with Arial font also and
> found same
> issue in different form.
>
> Original Arabic text - هذا تعليق الاختبار. تتم كتابة الكلمات بشكل صحيح
> PDF Arabic text      - ھذا تعلیق الاختبار. تتم كتابة الكلمات بشكل صحیح
>
> If I compare PDF and MS-Word files, it looks exactly similar but when I
> copy it
> to an editor(Font supported), the words look different (Glyphs are
> missing). You
> can check the above text.
>
> Why am I loosing text while doing copy/paste?

One thing to keep in mind is that some fonts do not include entries in the
CMAP table for all glyphs that can be referenced by performing the
character to glyph transformation process. In this case FOP, synthesizes a
CMAP entry which is used in the embedded font, where this entry uses a
dynamically generated Unicode value in the PUA (private use area). This
latter is necessary since PDF requires specifying *some* character code
(and not glyph index directly) when performing text drawing.

If you then attempt to copy this text and paste into another editor that
isn't aware of this dynamic mapping using the embedded font's CMAP, then
you may lose that mapping information. One possible way to fix this, which
I haven't investigated in detail, is to provide a separately encoding
Unicode string that contains the original, pre-transformed text, and
associate this string with the displayed post-transformed character string
that may contain these dynamic PUA characters. The PDF viewer would then
need to make use of the pre-transformed string when performing copy
operations. However, I haven't researched this to see if PDF supports.

Anyway, I suspect this is what is causing your problem. I've opened a bug
on this at [1].

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2204