Hi,

Yes, FOP current supports border-collapse (separate|collapse values only,
see [1]),
while FOP v0.20.5 did not. The design of this old version was quite
different from the current one, regarding border painting.

The thread you cited is about the current (new) design, so it cannot apply
to FOP 0.20.5.
FOP v0.20.x development stopped on 2003 while the thread rose on 2008.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html

--
pascal