I guess the other possibility is to generate Latex itself (instead
XSL-FO) and then use something like for example

http://www.nixo-soft.de/tutorials/jlr/JLRTutorial.html
http://www.nixo-soft.de/de/category/Downloads/page/libs/JavaLatexReport.php

Another project I have found is

http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/jlatexmath/

which seems to generate images, which can be used together with FOP.

I guess the more "brutal" way is to install and call pdflatex (once the
latex has been generated) from within Java:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/41633

Thanks

Michael

Am 24.01.14 10:21, schrieb Michael Wechner:
> Thanks very much for the pointer. Seems to work only with
>
> FOP 0.95beta or 0.95
>
> but I think we are still using 0.93 and I guess we could upgrade ;-)
>
> IIUC probably more effort is to transform Latex to MathML in order to
> use this library, but maybe I misunderstand something. Will have a
> closer look at it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
>
> Am 24.01.14 10:14, schrieb Luis Bernardo:
>> This is not very recent, but take a look at
>> http://jeuclid.sourceforge.net/trunk/jeuclid-fop/index.html.
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Michael Wechner
>> <michael.wech...@wyona.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I recently learned about
>>>
>>> http://www.mathjax.org/
>>>
>>> which is a great library to render Latex snippets inside HTML. See for
>>> example the abstract contained by
>>>
>>> http://projecteuclid.org/euclid.aos/1388545673
>>>
>>> I would like to do the "same" thing with PDF, which means I have an XML
>>> containing Latex snippets, e.g.

>>> We study sparse principal components analysis in high dimensions, where
>>> $p$ (the number of variables) can be much larger than $n$ (the number of
>>> observations), and analyze the problem of estimating the subspace
>>> spanned by the principal eigenvectors of the population covariance
>>> matrix. We introduce two complementary notions of $\ell_{q}$ subspace
>>> sparsity: row sparsity and column sparsity. We prove nonasymptotic lower
>>> and upper bounds on the minimax subspace estimation error for $0\leq
>>> q\leq1$. The bounds are optimal for row sparse subspaces and nearly
>>> optimal for column sparse subspaces, they apply to general classes of
>>> covariance matrices, and they show that $\ell_{q}$ constrained estimates
>>> can achieve optimal minimax rates without restrictive spiked covariance
>>> conditions. Interestingly, the form of the rates matches known results
>>> for sparse regression when the effective noise variance is defined