Lukas Zapletal <l...@redhat.com> writes:

>> I'm not sure I follow what you mean by administrative tasks. Note that
>> reports
>> import and puppet envs import are core actiones that now run as a foreman
>> task
>> (both synchronous and asynchronous variants). By making the UI part
>> optional
>> users would not be able to monitor their progress, cancel them etc if they
>> don't install the plugin. What would be the benefit of such setup?
>>

> I am not telling not to ship it, but making it optional (but installed by
> default). Assuming that processes would work normally without the UI part.
>
> Other option is to simply move the UI into core, I don't think we should
> make our decomposition effort a dogma. Let's be realistic.
>
> Benefit? Solving the stalemate perhaps :-)

So the latest updates updates if you don't follow the packaging PR [1]

The goal right now is to:

  1. unblock the nightlies
  2. keep the async operations possible
  3. prefer proper way over hacks

Although the goal is to get the foreman-tasks functionality to the core,
I don't think we can effort blocking nightlies much longer. To preserve
the async possibility there.

I'm looking into leveraging ActiveJob interface to define the async
operations we added. The idea is: when there is no foreman-tasks, the
in-thread executor, that already is build into Rails, will be used, and
from the end user, it will behave as before.

However, when foreman-tasks will be around and configured to be used for
async processing, the operation will go though that.

Once this would be done, we could start adding the UI around async
operations directly to the core: so the foreman-tasks functionality
would be gradually moved to the core this way: once the core is given certain
functionality, it can be removed from the tasks.

The important thing here is we could work on enhancing tasking
infrastructure in core while still supporting the current foreman-tasks
users and delivering enhancements there in the meantime.

I'm setting the deadline for this on Monday EOB. If by that time turns
our this plan is not feasible, we would need to sacrifice goal 1., 2. or
3.

-- Ivan

[1]
https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-packaging/pull/1436#issuecomment-273780029