On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Lukas Zapletal <l...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Dmitri Dolguikh <witlessb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - It is difficult to determine host’s client id (dhcp unique identifier, AKA
>> DUID)
>
> What you mean by that? If sysadmins let DUID to change, they are
> breaking IPv6 specs and servers will mis-behave. What exactly are you
> trying to solve here. We can provide some tools to help them (e.g.
> sending DUIDs alongside with other facts so they can easily recover
> them if they reboot or something like that). Do you have some
> automatic DUID management in mind?

There are a few issues here:
 - /etc/machine-id is generated during system install (each new clean
install on the same hardware will yield a different machine-id).
 - NetworkManager above 0.9.7.997 derives DUID based on
/etc/machine-id. We cannot calculate DUID prior to system installation
unless we manage /etc/machine-id.
 - sysconfig-based networking by default will use DUID-LLT (link-layer
address plus timestamp) in stateful mode, but it can be overridden in
the interface config file. We will need to manage interface config
files in order to have persistent DUIDs.
 - Windows hosts use yet another way of configuring DUIDs
 - As DUID value is dependent on how network interfaces are configured, we:
  - may need to ask the user how they plan to manage networking and
generate appropriate configuration (probably too error-prone)
  - create config files for both NetworkManager and sysconfig

> NM calculates DUID from system-id, we can generate both in advance
> when creating new host and provide them via Kickstart or snippet
> indeed if this makes things easier.

Yes, also see above.

>> - PXE uses client id (UUID/GUID) that is different from that of the host.
>
> Is this a real issue? We already deal with two allocations per PXE
> booted system with IPv4 (even three if you use discovery) and it
> works.

Less so for IPv6. It’s something that we may need to manage however,
esp. if we decide to rely on dns record management by dhcp server.

> Anyway, I am writing dnsmasq provider in my spare time. Does dnsmasq
> makes it any better? I was primarly targetting to improve out-of-box
> experience on IPv4 networks, but if dnsmasq makes it easier (I haven't
> looked into IPv6 at all), I can speedup my coding and provide the
> plugin earlier. Dnsmasq can work as DHCP or DHCP Proxy and it's in
> RHEL. Even if it won't provide a workaround or replacement, we could
> send a patch or something as it has smaller and modern codebase.
> Writing own DHCP proxy? Meeeh. Just a thought.

I don’t know much about dnsmasq. Most people use isc dhcpd or dhcpy6d
(https://dhcpy6d.ifw-dresden.de/) for dhcp6.

-d